Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Letter - March 9

Well dear family of mine, how has been the week? Mine has been pretty darn good. No baptisms or anything like that, but is has been good. Last Thursday we had a slow day though, filled with fallen through appointments and finding work. Lots of finding work. But when things have been so good one can expect such trying times. It is a test from the Lord to see if you are ready/worthy to receive the blessings that are coming your way. So on Friday we did weekly planning like normal and then some service at the Caritas. Then that night we had a great appointment with a new family. They are not super duper interested but the Spirit was there and I think it got them asking some questions about their lives and their future. Saturday we had bomb lessons with Felix and the Opina family. But unfortunately only one member of the Opina family came to church the next day. Monday we had DDM which was really good. Then that night we had a post-baptismal lesson with Francesco who was baptized last transfer. Yesterday was when our finding work experienced some blessings. We were doing house, the most menial and toughest work to do in Italy, and when we were almost finished, we finally someone that wanted to listen to our message. We talked mostly about the Book of Mormon. He is a medical student who had an LDS friend who went on a mission and hasn't heard from him since. Anyway, he said he would read the Book of Mormon but also said that he isn't looking to change his religion. We told him that was fine. So there is a baptism, maybe not for another 5 years or more but it will happen. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get a hold of our baptismal date. He has fallen off the face of the earth and missed his baptism. Sad but we will keep moving forward.

Well in other news I have been continuing my pursuits in the piano areas, and therefore I practice hymns whenever we have the chance. The members have heard me playing, and one of them asked if I could be the substitute primary pianist. That took me off guard but I said yes, and I will be playing this Sunday while the woman with the calling has been gone sick. Some form of scary arthritis. So that was pretty exciting. As March progresses, I am feeling that annual excitement for March Madness, but alas, it cannot be this year. Sweet dance. It just cannot be. I will miss it though.

I feel much for Tyler in the fact that it has been very rainy and very mundane everyday here. And I feel that often I get stuck in my little rut, my safe place that won't let me go. Every morning I read the scriptures and kindle a bonfire inside, but when I go outside sometimes, it seems to be nothing but embers. But the choice is ours. This morning I read in the book of Alma 10:6 "...Therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know." How often do we know what we should do and not do it? I am afraid it is too often. That really hit me. Then I read this quote from my study journal, "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." When we can find that, that will be the great day of our lives.

Keep working hard all you at home. The picture speaks for itself.

Love,
Anziano Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment