Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Another Week Under the Sun

Dear Family,
This week has been a good one but also a strange one. It started out with various finding activities and things like that. We have been trying hard to get people to come to our English class, but just like with getting investigators in church, people have a hard time getting themselves down to the church which is about a half hour out of town on foot - usually the normal mode of transportation, but it seems that everyone has a car or a motorized scooter so I don't see why people can't come. But from that class we have taught quite a few 1st lessons, so it is still a good thing to do.

In church on Sunday, the branch received a letter from a missionary that is out from this branch. And something that he said hit me and made me think of most people I have taught so far on this mission. He said that if you want to see a miracle, don't wait but act. It is very true. Too many people get caught up in waiting until they see a miracle before they act, when really the miracle happens when they act. And sometimes it is a miracle IF they act. All in all it was a good thought.

Then I was thinking about how missionary work is on the Lord's time. We as missionaries can "create success" as it is called in a talk given by Elder Russell M. Nelson, but ultimately "the divine attribute of patience is required" (Pres. Monson). I have been thinking about a few of our inestigators and how they just don't seem to be progressing. They like the missionaries, but they won't come to church or read in the Book of Mormon. As missionaries, we do all we can to present the message as powerfully and spiritually as possible. But ultimately and finally, it is the choice of the individual. I thought I was a patient person before the mission, but boy have I learned it in the mission.

The last two days have been rather uneventful as I was struck with a fever and was a very weak boy. But don't worry mom, I am one hundred and fifty percent better. And grateful for it. I have that sickening feeling like I wasted two days of my two years. But we will make up for it this week. Tomorrow is Zone Conference, and I am excited to hear the instruction that our mission leaders will give.

I loved your talk dad. It is so true. Especially the part at the beginning. As members of the church we sometimes think that we can't have the spirit with us always even though that is completely false. The Lord has promised that if we keep the commandments, take Christ's name upon us, and as we always remember Him, we will have the Holy Ghost with us. The Lord has said, "I the Lord God am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." So we can think of it like this. When we do those three thing, God HAS to bless us. He has no choice. He is bound and cannot do otherwise. He is forced to bless us. Luckly though, he loves us and WANTS to bless us. But he only can if we obey the natural laws of the Celestial Kingdom.

Julie's weekend sounds pretty crazy. The more spaced from high school I get, the more ridiculous I feel day dates are. Anything more than getting together and playing a game or eating lunch at someone's house is too much and there is just too much teenager to do those things. (Sorry Julie, but I was one too). Too much stupidity in a high concentration to do stuff safely.

Well that about does it for me this week. I have some awesome pictures. The first two are obvious why I sent them home.

We saw this bus on the street and I had to take some pictures.

This last one is mostly for Julie. I thought it looked like a good "The Rocket Summer" or "We Shot the Moom" album cover.
Love you all!!!!!!
Anziano Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment