Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Flat Tires, Trains, and Automobiles

Ha - that is a pretty clever title for this week's letter, although I can only relate to one of the things in the title. Friday night we were walking to a member's house who will be leaving on a mission in the next month or so. He is from the Phillipines and will serve in the Milan, Italy mission. He offered to make us dinner and of course we couldn't turn that down. On the way to the house we heard that all too familiar sound of a flat tire. We got the lady's attention and asked her if she needed some help, and she said no. Then we said, "We know how to change a flat tire." And she perked up and allowed us to help. About 30 minutes later we had the tire fixed. Italian jacks are not the most reliable things and also the nuts and bolts on Italian cars are different. Instead of the bolt coming out of the axle to set the tire on, you have to line the holes up and then put the bolts in. That took forever to get the holes lined up. But we got it done. She wasn't too interested in our message but very grateful for our service.

Saturday we played some calcieto (soccer on a fenced in short field) with the other elders and some investigators. I had an amazing goal that (I don't want to float my boat too much) was the highlight of the game. I curbed the shot around the defenseman in front of me to the right. Then the ball curved back to the left into the goal. It looked like a beautiful right to left putt in golf, but in fast forward and in the air. That was amazing and everyone was amazed. I must admit, I have no idea how I did it.

Sunday we had three investigators in church. One man from the Ivory Coast, Nigeria, and the Phillipines. They are all really awesome. Sunday night we ended our fast with another guy in our ward trying to decide if he should go on a mission. He is 25 and the deadline is coming up. So we fasted with him and broke our fast at his house. He made a delicious pasta and we ate well. We haven't been able to follow up with him yet, but I know he will get an answer.

Monday we had our district meeting. My companion taught the training. He gave a good training, the main point being if we use the scriptures well, we invite the prophets of old into the room to teach our investigator. It was a really good training. Then we went on exchanges with our zone leaders. We both went over to Rome 3 to do the scambies though cause the bishop in the ward needed to move a piano from the church to his house. I guess the church bought a new piano and he bought the old one off the church. Anyway, the zone leaders said that the bishop wouldn't move the piano unless he had me there. He "hand picked" the missionaries he "needed" at stake conference a few weeks back and so he needed the biggest and the strongest. I thought that was funny.

Speaking of that, I can proudly say that I have been working out every morning and now, as a result, my suit coat doesn't fit as well as it did. It is a little small. In this apartment there are free weights with more than 14 kgs. So I have been having a heyday in the mornings.

We met the family of an awesome girl last night. She is getting baptized this Sunday. She is the sisters' investigator but we were invited to her nieces birthday party so we met the family. They are awesome. I don't know if anything will happen in the near future, but they have said that they have already seen a change in their daughter for the better, so that is a good sign. Hopefully she will continue to be a good example.

Two last things. I got my documents so now I am legal for the next year here in Italy. That is good. Also, there was an elder serving here because his visa wasn't going through, but he left on Monday to the POCATELLO IDAHO MISSION! Cool huh. His name is Elder DeMola. He is awesome. Keep your eye out for him.

Well that is it. I love you all!

Love,
Anziano Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment