Friday, November 5, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Well, minus the trains, we hit two of the three transportation options this week. But to answer some questions about the work first. We are still teaching Mariapia and her son, but not his friend yet. Mariapia and her son are still scheduled to be baptized on the 20th of November. I am sure that Mariapia will make it. But I am not 100% certain that Mario will make it by that day. They are both doing great, and Mario is still working his way through the Book of Mormon. They both came to church on Sunday and had good experiences. Also, there is Cristina that should get baptized on the 27th of November. So we are looking at three baptisms in the near future.

Well, time for storytime. So Monday afternoon, we set off for Palermo. The office decided to fly us out of Palermo this time, because it was cheaper. So we drove there and arrived amidst the rain and wind in peace and safety. But after almost 4 hours of travel, I remembered with this great memory of mine, that I forgot my passport in Messina. So we called President looking for advice. In the past, I had been fine just using my permesso di soggiorno which makes me a legal "citizen." But it is expired. So we decided to try it. If it didn't work, I would stay with the missionaries in Palermo and my companion would go with the other zone leaders from Sicily to Rome. Well blessings came, and I was able to get on the plane with no problems.

We had a great conference and have set a goal as a misison to get 40 baptisms by the end of the year. Right now, we have 30 dates just for the month of November. So I believe that it is a reachable goal. After a good conference, we were left to ourselves for pretty much all of the day on Wednesday, because our flight wasn't until 6:35pm. So we took a little "tour" around the city, led by me. And we went and saw a few of the sights again in Rome. It was nice. I love that city. Here is where the story gets sticky.

So we get to the airport at 4:30 and go to check in. I show my permesso and they say, "Can you fly with just this?" After a bit of discussion, they decided that I could. (I already knew that, because I had done it twice before. It was just that this comapny had some problems and was very mean. Maybe corporate came down on them or something. I don't know. But customer service was pretty much at a zero). It wasn't the permesso thing that got me uptight, because it is true, I forgot my passport and it was expired. So that is my fault. But what happened next was uncalled for.

So we go to security and the man that checks to make sure that you have a ticket before you get to the scanners made me put my bag in the little bag size checker. It was too big by 3/8 of an inch. He said, nope you can't take that. You have to check it in. So amidst the grumbles of me and the inconvenience of paying another 22 euro to check in another bag (I wasn't the only one that had to do it), the same man let a woman go through with 4, that is right, FOUR bags AND a purse. I believe the requirement is ONE bag, and that is it. But nope, she got through nice and fine. So after calming down from that, and the fact that there were some really inappropriate advertisements in the airport (I mean how can you advertise for clothes when the models aren't wearing clothes. REALLY, they were just wearing their hands!), we were about to board the plane and the lady checking tickets decides that it is her time to shine. She does ANOTHER check of the bags and their sizes, makes my companion move stuff around again, although it had already been put through a very tiring test. Then she stops me because my permesso was expired. After talking with her, finally, with all the evidence that I was the person on the card, (there is a picture of me on the permesso) plus showing my driver's license and telling her that I was in the process of renewing my permesso, and telling her that the man who gave me my ticket had already checked with superiors, she grudgingly let me pass - almost as if she was promised a raise if she stopped someone from getting on the plane. What frustration.

That night was not that fun. But we did get to Palermo safely. And we drove back to Messina in safety, so I don't have too much I can be angry about. The blessings outweigh the inconveniences. So I am happy. Jalayne congrats on the temple trip. The first time is like you are drinking from a fire hose, but as you go back it becomes more and more beautiful. I miss it.

Well that is about it for me. Love you all!

Anziano Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment