Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life in Sicily

Well, life in Sicily this last week has been insane. It started out last Thursday. I sat at the end of a train car, because my train ticket didn't get assigned to a seat. So I sat on the floor for about 8 hours by myself. Luckly there were some other people that were banished to do the same thing. So I had some people to talk to. After that, I arrived at the station in Catania, and no one was there to meet me. So I called my companion and he said he was on his way. They arrived in a couple of minutes. Oh, I forgot to say, to cross the ocean they loaded the train onto a ferry and ferried the train over and then unloaded it. It was pretty crazy.

My new companion is awesome. He actually comes from the branch from which I was just serving in Battipaglia. So it is really fun to talk about people we know and for him to see how his branch has grown since he has been gone. He has been in the mission since February of 2009. So he is a litle older than me...in the mission. He is actually 23 and about 3 or 4 inches taller and probably a good five pounds heavier. He is awesome.

So our area has a car, and so we are trying to get my license converted so that I can take some of the driving burden off of my companion. Who knows when the Italian government will get that done, though. But it won't affect my license now. We have work in two cities to do, so the car is really useful. Also for when we have to do exchanges with the District Leaders who are spread all throughout Calabria which is the foot and toe part of Italy and the eastern side of Sicily. So our zone is pretty big. Most of the missionaries in my zone are from the old Catania mission. Save myself, one other, and two fresh from the MTC, the entire zone is made up of the old Catania mission.

In about five hours, we are catching a flight to Rome for a Zone Leader conference. I am really excited to be back in Rome for a couple of days. Everytime I have been back, I feel like Rome is home - funny how that rhymes. But ya, so we will be in Rome for a couple of days. I have already felt the stress that comes with more responsibility. We have baptismal interviews scheduled that we have to be to, Zone Conferences, exchanges, and any problems that could possibly happen in the mission field. It will be an exciting new adventure.

I have to apologize, because I forgot my camera. But that just means more next week right? Well that is about it for me this week. I love you all and thank you for your letters!

Love,
Anziano Hatch

P.S. Give Mikki a few pets from me!

P.S.S. I forgot to tell you that we set a baptismal date this week for the 14th! Tell you more about it next week!

P. S.S.S. I also forgot to tell you that I have also been asked to be the Branch pianist - which means I play in Sacrament meeting. I played last Sunday. I had to play a simplified version of "There is a Green Hill Far Away," because I have never practiced any Sacrament hymns. So another story that is being unfolded.

Love,
Anziano Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment